For more information on each sightseeing spot, click the points in the map.
Mt. Tenjo reaches an elevation of 572m, and is counted among Japan's Top Hundred Famous Peaks. A round-trip hike from the village can be completed in about 6 hours. Near the peak, the trees thin out, with scattered ponds and sandy areas, to look more like a high mountain in the 2000 meter range.
- Peak can be reached in about 2 hours from Kozushima Port
Mt. Tenjo (YouTube Video)
Akazaki Shiokaze Wooden Trail
Wooden walking course winds through the rocky reaches of the Akasaki coast on the north side of the island. A popular spot in the summer attracts children diving from a natural diving platform.
- Take a bus for 15 minutes from Kozushima Port, and get off at Akasaki Shiokaze Wooden Trail (Akasaki Yuhodo).
Kozushima Hot Spring Center
Offers saunas, falling water, jacuzzis, and other indoor hot spring facilities, and a vast open-air bath dotted with natural stone formations that extends for 275 square meters. Admission charged. Swimsuits required for open-air bath only.
Located in the southwest corner of the island, to offer panoramic views of Maehama and Kozushima village. There is also a white chalk cross set up to honor the early Edo-era Christian martyr Otaa Julia.
- 5 minutes by car from Kozushima Port
Matsuyama Nature Trail
A walking trail running for about 1 km along the cape jutting out between Takou Bay and Miura Bay on the east side of the island. Abrupt walls and a surging sea far below make for wonderful hiking scenery.
- 10 minutes by car from Kozushima Port
Maehama Beach Swimming Area
Popular beach with beautiful white sand spreading for about 1 km near the settlement. Also a famous spot for watching the evening sunset.
- 3-minute walk from Kozushima Port
Sawajiri Bay Beach Swimming Area
Gently sloping beach on a small inlet. Popular with families.
- Take a bus for 3 minutes from Kozushima Port, and get off at Sawajiri Bay Beach (Sawajiri Kaigan).
Takou Bay Beach Swimming Area
Takou Bay located on the opposite side of the island offers spectacular scenery and a vast panorama replete with the sheer rock walls of Mt. Tenjo, and the obsidian formations stretching along Sanukazaki Point.
- Take a bus for 20 minutes from Kozushima Port, and get off at Takou Bay (Takou wan).
A Tokyo Metropolitan prefectural campsite located near Takou Bay. Close to the ocean and mountains, it is fully equipped with fireplaces, restrooms, and showers.
- Take a bus for 18 minutes from Kozushima Port, and get off at the campsite (kyampu-jo).